Further Masonic Reading
- So You Want to be a Freemason? by Julian Rees. 2009.
- A Quick Guide to Freemasonry, by Bro David Harrison. 2013.
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Freemasonry, 2nd Edition: Discover the Rich and Fascinating History of This Mysterious Society, by Bro. S. Brent Morris, PhD. 2013.
Scottish Craft Freemasonry:
- The history of Free Masonry and the Grand Lodge of Scotland, with chapters on the Knight Templars, Knights of St. John, Mark Masonry, and R.A. Degree. (1859) by William Alexander Laurie
- History of The Lodge of Edinburgh (Mary’s Chapel) No. 1. Embracing and account of the rise and progress of Freemasonry in Scotland, by Bro David Murray Lyon. 1873.
- The Scottish Mason and The Mason Word, by Douglas Knoop and G.P. Jones. 1939.
- The Minutes of the Lodge of Edinburgh, Mary’s Chapel No. 1 1598 – 1738. Quator Coronatorum Antigrapha Masonic Reprints Vol XIII of the Quator Coronati Lodge No. 2076, London.: by Dashwood, John R. & Carr, Harry.
- The Mason and the Burgh. An examination of the Edinburgh Register of Apprentices and the Burgess Rolls: by Harry Carr.
- Historical Sketch of the Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland 1736-1986. By the G. L. of Scotland.
- The First Freemasons, Scotland’s Early Lodges and their members, by Prof. David Stevenson. 1988.
- The Origins of Freemasonry, by Prof. David Stevenson. 1988.
- The Lodge of Edinburgh (Mary’s Chapel) No. 1, quatercentenary of minutes 1599-1999, by Bro Joseph Ewart McArthur. 1999.
- Cracking The Freemason’s Code, the truth about Solomon’s key and the brotherhood, by Bro Robert L. D. Cooper. 2006.
- The Rosslyn Hoax? Viewing Rosslyn Chapel from a new perspective, by Bro Robert L. D. Cooper. 2006.
- The laws and constitutions of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland (1879)
- The constitution and laws of the grand lodge of Scotland (1881)
- History of Freemasonry in the Province of Roxburgh, Peebles and Selkirkshires, from 1674 to the present. by Brother W. Fred Vernon. London 1893.
- Memorials of the Haughfoot Lodge, by Brother Harry Carr.
- The Scottish Master Mason’s Handbook, by Frederick Joseph William Crowe
- History of The Antient Mother Ludge of Scotland: Mother Kilwinning No. 0. By Brother John A. Ness. Glasgow 1995.
- History of the Lodge Canongate Kilwinning, No. 2. Compiled from the records, 1677-1888. By Brother Allan MacKenzie. Edinburgh 1888.
- Freemasonry in Inverness: being an account of the ancient lodges of St John’s Old Kilwinning, No 6 of Scotland, and St Andrew’s Kilwinning, No 31 of Scotland. Compiled from minute books of the lodges, by Alexander Ross. Inverness, 1877.
- Sketch of the Incorporation of Masons; and the Lodge of Glasgow St John [No. 3bis]; with much curious useful information regarding the Trades’ House, and Glasgow past & present. Compiled by James Cruikshank. Glasgow, 1879.
- Speculative masonry, its mission, its evolution, and its landmarks. Being a series of lectures delivered at the Lodge of Instruction in connection with Lodge Progress, Glasgow, no. 873. By A.S. McBride
- History of Lodge St. Michael’s Kilwinning, no. 63 Dumfries
- The Jacobite lodge at Rome, 1735-7, with a complete reproduction of the Minute book, by Bro. William James Hughan
English Craft Freemasonry:
- Constitution book of 1723, by Rev. Bro. Anderson
- Illustrations of masonry. Reprint of the rare 1772 edition, by Bro. William Preston
- Illustrations of masonry, by Bro. William Preston
- The old charges of British Freemasons, by Bro. William James Hughan
- The four old lodges, founders of modern freemasonry, and their descendants. A record of the progress of the craft in England and of the career of every regular lodge down to the union of 1813. By Bro. Robert Freke Gould.
- Memorials of the masonic union of A.D. 1813, consisting of an introduction on freemasonry in England, by Bro. William James Hughan
- The Alnwick Manuscript, No. E10: reproduction and transcript, by Bro. William James Hughan
- Freemasons Guide and Compendium, by Bro Bernard E. Jones. 1950.
- The Pocket History of Freemasonry, by Fred Pick and Norman Knight. 1953.
- The Freemason’s Pocket Reference Book, by Fred Pick and Norman Knight. 1955.
- Freemasonry in London from 1783, seen through the Antients’ Domatic Lodge No 177 and its associates, by Bro Roy A. Wells. 1984.
- The Rise and Development of Organised Freemasonry, by Roy A. Wells. 1986.
- Understanding Freemasonry, some Masonic papers by Bro Roy A. Wells. 1991.
- The Craft, a history of English Freemasonry, by Bro John Hamill. 1986.
- The Foundations of Modern Freemasonry, the grand architects, political change and the scientific enlightenment, 1714-1740, by Prof. Ric Berman. 2012.
- Schism, the battle that forged freemasonry, by Prof. Ric Berman. 2013.
- Foundations, the formation and early years of the Grand Lodge of England, by Prof. Ric Berman. 2015.
- Espionage, Diplomacy & the Lodge, Charles Delafaye and the secret department of the Post Office, by Prof. Ric Berman. 2017.
- The English Masonic Union of 1813, a tale of Antient and Moderns, by Bro John Belton. 2012.
- The Transformation of Freemasonry, the revolution of the world, by Bro David Harrison. 2010.
- The Liverpool Masonic Rebellion and the Wigan Grand Lodge, the last masonic rebellion, by Bro David Harrison. 2012.
- The Genesis of Freemasonry, by Bro David Harrison. 2014
- Exploring Early Grand Lodge Freemasonry, studies in Honor of the Tricentennial of the Establishment of the Grand Lodge of England, Edited by Christopher B. Murphy. 2017.
- The Magus of Freemasonry: The Mysterious Life of Elias Ashmole–Scientist, Alchemist, and Founder of the Royal Society: by Churton, Tobias.
- Freemasonry: A Celebration of the Craft: by Hamill, John, Gilbert, R. A..
Freemasonry in York:
- The York Legend in the Old Charges, Bro. Alex Horne. 1978.
- York Mysteries Revealed, understanding an Old English Masonic Tradition, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2006.
- The York Grand Lodge, by Bro David Harrison. 2014.
- The City of York; A Masonic Guide, by Bro. David Harrison. 2016.
- The Yorkshire Lodges; A Century of Yorkshire Freemasonry, by Bro. J. Ramsden Riley. 1885.
- From Roanoke to Raleigh: Freemasonry in North Carolina, 1730-1800. By Prof. Ric Berman.
- Loyalists & Malcontents: Freemasonry & Revolution in South Carolina and Georgia, by Prof. Ric Berman.
- The Grand Lodge of England & Colonial America: America’s Grand Masters, by Prof. Ric Berman. 2020.
- Why Thirty-Three?: Searching for Masonic Origins, by Bro. S. Brent Morris, PhD. 2019.
- A Radical In The East, by Bro. S. Brent Morris, PhD. 2022.
- Freemasonry: A Journey Through Ritual and Symbol, by Bro. W. Kirk MacNulty. 1991.
- The Way of the Craftsman: A Search for the Spiritual Essence of Craft Freemasonry, by Bro. W. Kirk MacNulty. 2017.
- Contemplating Craft Freemasonry: Working the Way of the Craftsman, by Bro. W. Kirk MacNulty. 2018.
Mark Master Masons:
- A New and Comprehensive History of the Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons of England etc. 1856-1968, by Bro R. M. Handfield-Jones. 1968.
- The Arch And The Rainbow, the story of the Order of Mark Master Masons and the Degree of Royal Ark Mariner, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 1996.
- The Mark Degree, by Bro David Mitchell. 2003.
- Marking Well, Essays on the Occasion of the 150th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons of England etc., Edited by Prof. Andrew Prescott. 2006.
- Tell Me More About the Mark Degree, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2007.
Royal Arch Masonry:
- Freemasons Book of the Royal Arch, by Bro Bernard E. Jones. 1957.
- Some Royal Arch Terms Examined, by Bro Roy A. Wells. 1978.
- Royal Arch Matters, by Bro Roy A. Wells. 1984.
- Understanding The Royal Arch, by Richard Sandbach. 1992.
- What Do You Know About The Royal Arch? by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2002.
- The Royal Arch Journey, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2009.
Scottish Royal Arch Masonry:
- History of the Edinburgh Royal Arch Chapter No 1, by William Davis. 1911.
- The Triple Tau, an outline of the history of the Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland, by George Draffen. 1955.
- The Story of the Royal Arch, by Brother William Harvey. Dundee, 1919.
- Law & Regulations For The Government Of The Order Of Royal Arch Masons Of Scotland (1869)
- The laws and constitutions of the Supreme grand royal arch chapter (1878)
Masonic Knights Templar:
- Sketch of the history of the Knights Templars (1840), by the Chevalier James Burnes K.H.
- Pour La Foy, a short history of the Great Priory of Scotland, by Bro George Draffen. 1949.
- Brethren in Chivalry, a celebration of the 200 years of the Great Priory of the Masonic Knights Templar of England etc., by Bro Frederick Smyth. 1991.
- Understanding More About The Knights Templar and Malta Degrees, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2008.
- In the Steps of the Templars; the History of the Masonic Orders of the Knights Templar and the Knights of Malta, by Bro. Brian W. Price. 2021.
Scottish Rite / Ancient and Accepted Rite / Rose Croix:
- The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. Illustrations of the Emblems of the Thirty-Three Degrees: with a short description of each, as worked under the Supreme Council of Scotland. By Brother J. T. Loth, 30°. Edinburgh 1875.
- The Scottish Rite for Scotland, by Bro R. S. Lindsay, 33°. 1958.
- Rose Croix, a history of the Ancient and Accepted Rite for England and Wales, by Bro A.C.F. Jackson. 1980.
- Rose Croix Essays: by Mandleberg, John.
- Ancient and Accepted: The First One Hundred Years of the Supreme Council 33 Degrees for England and Wales, 1845-1945: by Mandleberg, C. John.
- Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor & Guide, by Bro. Arturo de Hoyos.
- Albert Pike’s Morals & Dogma: Annotated Edition, by Bro. Arturo de Hoyos.
- Albert Pike’s Esoterika; The Symbolism of the Blue Degrees of Freemasonry, by Bro. Arturo De Hoyos.
Lodge of the Double-Headed Eagle: Two Centuries of Scottish Rite Freemasonry in America’s Southern Jurisdiction, by William L. Fox.
Royal Order of Scotland:
- The Royal Order of Scotland, by Bro Robert Strathern Lindsay. 1971.
- The Royal Order of Scotland, the second hundred years, by Bro George Draffen of Newington. 1977.
- Beyond the Craft (6th Edition), by Keith B. Jackson. 1980/2012.
- Delving Further Beyond the Craft, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2009.
- The Freemason at Work, the definitive guide to craft freemasonry, by Bro Harry Carr. 1976. Revised by Bro Frederick Smyth 1992.
- Harry Carr’s World of Freemasonry, the collected papers and talks of Harry Carr. 1983.
- I Just Didn’t Know That, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 1999.
- Did You Know This, Too?, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2005.
- Let Me Tell You More, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2009.
- What Do You Know About Ritual? The complete Mason’s commentary, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2008.
- Belief And Brotherhood, by Revd Bro Neville Barker Cryer. 2010.
- Enhance Your Masonic Knowledge, by Bro Ronald J. R. Hart. 2013.
- Military lodges. The apron and the sword; or, Freemasonry under arms; being an account of lodges in regiments and ships of war, and of famous soldiers and sailors (of all countries) who have belonged to the society. By Bro. Robert Freke Gould.
- General history, cyclopedia and dictionary of freemasonry, by Robert Macoy
- Freemasonry in the Holy Land; or, Handmarks of Hiram’s builders; embracing notes made during a series of masonic researches, in 1868, in Asia Minor, Syria, Palestine, Egypt and Europe, and the results of much correspondence with freemasons in those countries, by Bro. Robert Morris
- Coil’s Masonic Encyclopedia: by Coil, Henry Wilson.
- Comprehensive View of Freemasonry: by Coil, Henry Wilson.
- The Royal Masonic Cyclopaedia (Masonic classics) by Kenneth R. H. Mackenzie.
- Kenning’s Masonic Encyclopedia and Handbook of Masonic Archeology, History and Biography: by Kenning, George.
- A Lexicon of Freemasonry: by Mackey, Albert Gallatin 1807-1881.
- King Solomon’s Temple in the Masonic Tradition (Masonic classics): by Horne, Alex.
- The Lost Pillars of Enoch: When Science and Religion Were One: by Churton, Tobias
Anti-Masonry or Masonophobia:
- The Red Triangle, a history of Anti-Masonry, by Bro. Robert L.D. Cooper. 2011.
- Freemasonry: The Reality: by Bro. Tobias Churton.
- The Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross – A History of the Rosicrucians: by Waite, Arthur Edward.
- Golden Builders: Alchemists, Rosicrucians and the First Freemasons: by Tobias Churton.
- Invisibles: The True History of the Rosicrucians: by Tobias Churton. Published by Lewis Masonic. Which is the same book as : The Invisible History of the Rosicrucians: The World’s Most Mysterious Secret Society: by Tobias Churton. Published by Inner Traditions.
- The Masonic Magician, the life and death of Count Cagliostro and his Egyptian Rite, by Philippa Faulks and Robert L. D. Cooper. 2008.
- Cagliostro; The Unknown Master; A Critical and Historical Study of High Magic. By Dr Marc Haven. Edited by Phillipa Faulks. 2020.
- The Green Book of Elus Coens: by Clelland, Stewart, Wages, Josef, Adams, Steve.
- The Master’s Voice; The Letters & Rituals of Martinez de Pasqually.
The real Illuminati - not the conspiracy nonsense:
- The Secret School of Wisdom, the authentic rituals and doctrines of the Illuminati, Edited by Josef Wages and Reinhard Markner. Translated by Jeva Singh-Anand. 2015
- On Materialism and Idealism: 1 (Collected Works of Adam Weishaupt Volume One): by Wages, Josef, Ferguson, Paul, Singh-Anand, Jeva.
- Philo’s Reply To Questions Concerning His Association With the Illuminati: by Singh-Anand, Jeva, Freiherr Knigge, Adolph.
- The English Illuminati: by Lees, Alistair.
- The Bavarian Illuminati: The Rise and Fall of the World’s Most Secret Society: by Le Forestier, René, Graham, Jon E.
The Early Masonic Catechisms by Bro. Harry Carr. 1943, 1963
1 Edinburgh Register House MS 1696 Found in the Court of Session Building, Edinburgh in 1808.
2 Chetwode Crawley MS c1700
3 Kevan MSc 1714-20 Found in a collection of old legal documents from a firm of solicitors in Duns, Berwickshire.
4 Sloane MSc 1700 Sir Hans Sloane
5 Dumfries No. 4 MS c1710 Old Lodge of Dumfries
6 Trinity College, Dublin MS 1711 Collected papers of Dr Sir Thomas Molyneaux, Dublin (1661-1733)
7 A Mason’s Examination 1723 The Flying Post, No. 4712
8 Grand Mystery of FM Discover’d 1724
9 Whole Institution of Masonry 1724 John Page, Bristol
10 Institution of FM MS c1725
11 Whole Institutions of FM Opened 1725 Dublin
12 Graham MS 1726
13 Grand Mystery Laid Open 1726
14 A Mason’s Confession 1727 Scots Magazine, March 1755/6
15 Wilkinson MS c1727
16 Mystery of FM 1730 The Daily Journal, No. 2998
17 Prichard’s Masonry Dissected 1730
18 Chesham MS c1740
19 Dialogue Between Simon and Philip c1740
20 Essex MS c1750
The Early French Exposures by Bro. Harry Carr. AQC 1971
1 Reception d’un Frey-Macon 1737 Reception of a Free-Mason
2 La Reception Mysterieuse 1738 The Mysterious Initiation
3 Le Secret des Francs-Macons 1742 The Secret of the Free-Masons
4 Le Catechisme des Francs-Macons 1744 Catechism of the Free-Masons
5 La Franc-Maconne 1744 The Lady Free-Mason
6 Le Parfait Macon 1744 The Perfect Mason
7 Le Sceau Rompu 1745 The Broken Seal
8 L’Ordre des Francs-Macons Trahi 1745 The Order of the Free-Masons Betrayed
9 Les Francs-Macons Ecrases 1747 The Free-Masons Crushed
10 La Desolation des Entrepreneurs Modernes du Temple de Jerusalem 1747 The Desolation of the Modern Builders of the Temple of Jerusalem
11 L’Anti-Macon 1748 The Anti-Mason
12 Le Macon Demasque 1751 The Mason Unmasked
English Masonic Exposures 1760-69 by ACF Jackson. Lewis Masonic 1986
1 A Master Key to FM 1760
2 Three Distinct Knocks 1760
3 Jachin and Boaz 1762
4 Hiram 1764
5 Mystery of FM Explained 1765
6 Shibboleth 1765
7 Mahhabone 1766
8 Solomon in all his Glory 1766
9 The FM Stripped Naked 1769